Hull House

The Jane Addams Hull-House Museum, part of the College of Architecture and the Arts at the University of Illinois at Chicago, is a historic site and memorial to Jane Addams, her innovative settlement house programs and associates, and the neighborhood they served. Housed in two original Hull-House buildings, the museum is an internationally recognized symbol of multicultural understanding, reflecting the long Hull-House tradition of social service and reform, educational innovation, and urban research.

A National Historic Landmark, the house was built in 1856 and occupied by Jane Addams and Ellen Gates Starr in 1889. Furnishings, paintings, photographs, and exhibits recreate the history of this world-famous settlement and the work of its residents. Directly south of the Museum is the Residents' Dining Hall, an Arts and Crafts style building designed by Allen and Irving K. Pond in 1907 and later designated a Chicago Historic Landmark. Restored by the University of Illinois at Chicago in the mid-1960s, the Mansion and Residents' Dining Hall are all that remain of the original thirteen-building Hull-House complex.

Details & Events

Local street map. Click "+" or "-" to zoom in and out. Click on map to drag and position the view.

Copyright 1998-2017 - Guide to Chicago Events and Places

Other Guides: The Chicago Guide The Miami Beach Guide The New York Guide The Orlando Guide The Phoenix Guide San Diego Guide The San Francisco Guide The Washington Guide